Thursday, January 7, 2010

1000 Calorie Lunch

I know it's been a while since I've posted but I'm pretty much the only person reading my own blog.

I decided a couple of years ago that I wasn't going to make any more New Year's resolutions. I think about changes I can or need to make but I don't necessarily resolve to carry them through. It's my propensity to a frequent non-committal nature. Some people might call it lack of drive. I call it living spontaneously. About the only thing I did resolve to do was clean the inside window's of my mini-van so that I can see life passing me by more clearly and because it's really hard to see at night with an interior film on your windows.

I made no dietary changes. In fact, I ate "in" at McDonald's after not having worked out for about two weeks. I went for a quick workout today, which included the weights that allow me to do squats. I only do squats if the bar is set where I want it, otherwise I really never change it around because it's a hassle. Well, after the workout, I felt like a little ol' McDonald's cheeseburger. I decided that fries and a Coke would go nicely with it. I usually order the child-sized drinks because it's fewer calories. To top it off, I ordered an Oreo McFlurry just because it sounded good and after a workout who couldn't afford a few extra calories. (Contradictory with the previous sentence, I know.)

I was by myself and I sat at a corner booth. When I'm eating out by myself which I do frequently, I either look at other people or perhaps I have something to read. I don't try to act overly busy just to fake that I'm not feeling alone. I just live with it. It turns out that the tray paper had a McDonald's advertisement on it for their new Big Mac wrapped in a tortilla, minus the bun, of course. Yum!????! It didn't look very appetizing but upon further study of the ad I noticed.....no, became enthralled with the subliminal pictures. Of course there were the usual faces that I see in almost everything and then there were what looked like ahem....., body parts. You know what I mean. Well, I suppose that's the nature of the advertising beast these days. In my day and age, subliminal advertising consisted of slick magazine advertisements with skulls and the word sex or something like that placed subliminally in the photograph of the glass of wiskey and water that went undetected by the typical consumer. I'm not making this up.

In between studying the picture of the yummy tortilla burger and listening to the people two booths ahead of me speaking in a lanquage that I couldn't decipher, I noticed a plug on the sheet to turn it over to learn about the nutritional facts of McDonald's food products. Cheeseburger, 300 calories; small french fries 260 calories, small Coke 150 calorie; Oreo McFlurry 560 whoa!!!! calories. Over 1000 calories. My trip to the gym had been nullified. Oh well, it felt good to work the old muscles again. I'll need to eat less tomorrow.

You know, I'm a very curious person and I just had to ask what language the group of people next to me was speaking. They told me it was Somalian. They were from the island of Somalia. I would love to hear their story. Maybe next time. I have my eye on an ice cream cone hand-dipped in chocolate. The kind that hardens into a soft shell over the ice cream. I haven't had one of those in ages.

No comments: